I have been meaning to write this for sometime, but I never realized how difficult it would be to actually get to the computer for more than five seconds at a time!  I was delusional thinking all a baby does is nap when it comes home..HAHAHAHAHAH.  After many sleepless nights and days, I have learned this to not be true.  Hence, the delayed post.  Anyway, here is how little Benji came to be into our world.

It’s Friday, October 22.  I am very preggo, very uncomfortable and very bored.  I have been off work for two weeks.  So, I decide I am going to make some butternut apple squash soup for dinner.  I go to the grocery store, pick up the supplies and come home and start making dinner.

Around 9:30 pm I felt what I thought was a contraction.  I texted my husband, who was still at work.  He got home around 10:30pm, and I kept getting a weird pain every so often while I was cooking.   I told my husband to go have a nap, because I thought it was gonna be a looooooooooooooooong night.  It was a full moon, and I had a funny feeling.  So, he goes to nap, I go on the computer to distract myself with Farmville, until about 12:30 things start getting really intense and I call my midwife.  The contractions were about 6 – 7 mins apart, but getting pretty intense.  She said I needed to be about 3 -4 mins apart before I went to the hospital, so she said to call back in about an hour or two and let her know where I was at.  Well, in the next two hours, things got INTENSE and I thought I was going to die.  I called the midwife at 2:30am, hysterical and shrieking like a banshee.  She tells me she just got off the phone with the hospital by my house, and they have denied us admission because they are “full” (turns out later we find out three midwife clients were turned away that same night but other people weren’t, that’s another story) so I had to go to the hospital in another city which was about 31 km/20 miles away.

Hubby has a quick shower and makes some coffee, his mom comes over, and we get in the car.  WORST CAR RIDE EVER.  I have never experienced so much pain in my life and I felt suffocated in the front seat of the car, I was clawing the windows, and I one point I almost opened the car door going to the highway at 60 mph, wanting to fling myself out.  I screamed like a psychopath the entire way.  We get to the hospital around 3:30 – 4am, the midwife greets us, and asks me how I am.  I say, “ok I guess” and fall to my hands and knees and start vomiting like crazy.  They help me to a delivery room, she checks me and says…You are fully dilated.

So, I get to the bed, sit up, and the need to push is so unbearable, so we start at it.  The sac is holding him back, so she breaks the sac once the other midwife gets there, probably around 4:30 or so.  He was born at 6:03 am.  Man, once I got the hang of pushing it all went so fast.  It seemed like forever at the time, but in reality, I was still playing facebook at home at 1:30 am, and  had my baby in another city at 6am.

It was insane.  The strangest thing was to see his head poked out between my legs, the minutes before his body came out.  One good push and he slid out like a little worm.  But, the head wasn’t so easy.  I didn’t think I was going to be able to do it.   I am so proud of myself, I did it the way I wanted to – no epidural, no induction, no drugs.  Completely natural.   I tried I couple hits of laughing gas, but I couldn’t stand the mask on my face so I went without.  Though, I sucked that gas back like it was candy for 10 stitches or so.

It was pretty amazing overall, a day I will NEVER forget.

Benjamin, seconds old